Thursday, 21 March 2013

More about Kantha quilting

 Since my previous post about the alphabet theme I am playing along with for
Tag Tuesday , which was K is for Kantha, I have been looking for more information about Kantha quilting, as one of my Tag friends was asking about it. This is for you Mo!

This is what I found:-

The Quilter's and Patchworker's Stitch Bible by Nikki Tinkler
This book gives a clear and concise explanation off the origins of Kantha quilting, suggested designs suitable for Kantha  and some  photos of examples.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Swedish designer, Gudrun Sjoden uses influences from all over the world in her colourful clothing and textiles for the home.  I came across some wonderful examples of Kantha in a range of hers inspired by a trip to India. If you haven't come across Gudrun, her web site is well worth a look, as she travels widely for her fashion shoots, and writes about the things that have inspired her. 

 This photo is a close-up 
 I took of the front of one of Gudrun Sjoden's catalogues.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This web site has some good photographic examples of stitches used in Kantha

I learned that Kantha started as a form of recycled textiles, a way of re-using old saris, which were then layered and the coloured threads taken from the old saris used for stitching.
I thought this was interesting, as I have been reading up about Sashiko, the Japanese form of embroidery I have been working on recently, and found the origins very similar,as Sashiko started with layers of kimonos held together with decorative running stitch .