Friday 26 February 2010

Wallhanging tutorial

On Thursday in class we had tutorials on our wallhangings with our tutor, Dawn Thorne. I confess to feeling disappointed, as I had felt inspired and thought I knew what I wanted to do with the wall hanging. Having been inspired by Angie Hughes, I then came across some exciting gesso techniques in Maggie Grey's Textile Translations-Mixed Media. I was eager to try some of these, but on talking it through with Dawn, she feels that I am not doing enough embroidery and stitched textiles (which is, after all in the title of the course) She, quite rightly, feels that I am going too much in the mixed media direction. I know that I have a tendency to this, and want to throw on paint, see what happens, then put in some stitch. However for the purposes of the course I have to be more disciplined in stitch and textiles techniques. I was looking forward to playing around with gesso and paper, but sadly, Dawn says I can't use paper at the moment and must try fabrics. So I will have to think about this and hope to start sampling in a more suitable way soon.


1 comment:

  1. so not fair, Jane! I loved some of the samples in the previous post. Does the tutor mean no painting even to give background texture for the stitching?

    where do you think you can go next?

    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete