Sunday 23 September 2012

Sashiko

I am always looking for hand sewing projects to do, the sort of thing you can pick up when you want to do some hand stitching, and not spend ages getting it ready. I was very pleased to find this sashiko fabric when I was in Village Fabrics in Wallingford recently. The sashiko pattern is already marked out, ready to get on and stitch! Then I had to buy the correct threads, needles, thimble (the little black object) as instructed in the library book I borrowed. 



This book, The Ultimate Sashiko Sourcebook by Susan Briscoe  has lovely illustrations, is very instructive, and the instructions look easy to follow. As the fabric has 8 different sashiko patterns on it, I will have trouble deciding which to do first! Susan's book will wet your appetite for sashiko, or you could just browse through the photos, diagrams and interesting  information about the history of this Japanese decorative style and the type of garments it was used for.

Click to enlarge

I can't wait to get started on the sewing , now I have everything ready. Just the thing for cosy autumn days indoors . Watch this space to see how I get on with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment